Responsible for the overall preparation, planning and serving of congregate and home-delivered meals for senior center services.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the senior center meal program attain contractual objectives and goals.
- Complies with Foundation for Senior Living policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Supervises Assistant Cook and volunteers in preparation and serving of congregate and home-delivered meals, ensuring that portion, temperature and sanitation standards are maintained.
- Plans a six-week menu cycle in accordance with applicable nutrition standards.
- Purchases food items and supplies, and ensures proper storage of items to maintain quality, sanitation and accessibility for use.
- Performs a periodic survey of participants to assist in the planning of menu items and ensure quality is maintained.
- Supervises the operation and maintenance of equipment and tools used for preparation and serving, with special emphasis on sanitation requirements and cleanliness.
- Supervises and trains Assistant Cook, volunteers and other temporary kitchen helpers.
- Supervises the cleaning of the kitchen and associated equipment to ensure cleanliness and sanitation requirements are met.
- Assists with special programs conducted by the staff or volunteer organizations.
- Other duties as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Extensive knowledge of handling, preparation and cooking of food items in quantities necessary for 100-150 meals.
- Basic knowledge of nutritional requirements for seniors.
- Extensive knowledge of sanitation requirements, standards and procedures.
- Ability to read and follow approved recipes and menus.
- Must not have any restrictions for physical work for which reasonable accommodation cannot be made.
- Working knowledge of computers with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Publisher.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Food Handlers Certification.
- Three years’ experience in planning, preparation and serving of large quantities of food. (Formal training in food services may substitute for experience.)
- Associates degree in nutrition or food services.
- Kitchen management experience.
- Food Managers Certification.
Proud to be a Mature Worker Friendly Certified Employer through the Governor's Advisory Council on Aging
The Foundation for Senior Living (FSL) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, M/F/D/V. DFWP. FSL believes that diversity leads to strength.